To help generate awareness about child car seat safety and coinciding with Child Passenger Safety Week September 23-29, 2018, we’re providing you with resources to help make sure your child is safe through every stage of life.
Save Me A (Car) Seat Event
Where: Houston Community College West Loop Center
5601 West Loop South Freeway, Houston, TX 77081
When: Saturday, September 29 at 9 AM – 12 PM
Details: Safe Kids Greater Houston and Texas Children’s Hospital is hosting a FREE car seat checkup event where nationally certified child passenger safety technicians can help you properly install your child’s car seat.
Appointments highly recommended.
Online booking available at: safekidsgreaterhouston.genbook.com
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2228521740712729/
Why Should I Get My Car Seat Inspected?
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is a great resource for finding the right car seat and how to install a car seat properly and here is their Car Seat Recommendations for Children.
- They have also created a toolkit of free materials you can download and share with parents and caregivers.
- Child Passenger Safety Week culminates with National Seat Check Saturday on Sept. 29. Certified child passenger safety technicians will be available at car seat events nationwide to provide safety tips and car seat installation instructions to parents and caregivers.
Want to learn how to install your car seat for free? Safe Kids hosts thousands of child passenger safety events across the country. Their trained technicians will teach you everything you need to know to make sure your car seat is fitted and installed correctly.
Car Seat Inspection Stations Happening Year Round
The listed Inspection Stations check child safety seats by appointment only. Locations differ in frequency (i.e. some run monthly, some fill up weeks in advance); please plan accordingly. To make sure your child is safe in the seat, it is best to bring your child. Please be prepared to learn to install the seat yourself during your 30 minute appointment.
- Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office: 281-238-1536.
- HCSO District 4 Franz Road Storefront (Katy): 281-647-9371.
- Missouri City Police Department: 281-403-8700
- Sugar Land Police Department: 281-275-2956
- Fort Bend County Area: 832-822-2277. Leave a message to speak with a car seat technician and schedule an appointment.
- Harris County Sheriff’s Office: 281-564-5988
The Texas Department of Transportation offers free, year-round child safety seat inspections available by appointment. To schedule a safety seat inspection, find your local contact at TexasClickItorTicket.
TxDot Houston District
7600 Washington Ave. Houston, TX 77007
Even if you can’t make it in right now, there might be a technician who can help. Safe Kids also has an events calendar that lists year-round Inspection Stations times and locations.