Small Business Saturday Featuring HOTWORX & Owners Mano Mbu & Mampia Futa
Mano and Mampia grew up together in Congo as best friends and now live in Katy together raising the 5 kiddos they have between them. On the journey of motherhood together, they’ve now embarked on a brand new venture as business owners! They opened HOTWORX just last weekend and we’ve had a chance to check out their beautiful studio and enjoy the classes they offer! Both so very passionate about that they do, you can also catch them around town at different events promoting their new studio.
HOTWORX is a virtually instructed exercise program created for users to experience the many benefits of infrared heat absorption, while completing a 30-minute isometric workout or 15-min High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) session.
As the infrared heat penetrates your body causing you to sweat, the isometric postures further accelerate detoxification by physically removing the toxins from your organs through muscle contraction. The results our users achieve make HOTWORX one of the most efficient 30-minute workout programs in the fitness and beauty industry today!
We got to sit down with these awesome mamas to learn more about them as business owners, what we can expect from HOTWORX, and their big plans to come! We are so excited to welcome their business to our community! Read our full interview below!
Where are you from originally and how long have you lived in the Katy area?
We are both born in the city of Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. After living in Houston for a few years, we both moved to Katy in 2017.
You two are mamas! How many do you have each and how old are they?
Mano: I have two children: my son is fourteen and my daughter is eleven
Mampia: I am a proud mama of three. I have two girls eleven and six and a boy who is ten
What did you do before becoming a business owner?
Mano: I’m an Accounting Analyst for a local woman-owned telecommunications company
Mampia: I had a career in Finance and Banking prior to becoming a business owner
When did you open the door at HOTWORX?
We started Pre-Sale at the end of November while we were under construction. We’d like to take this opportunity to thank all the mamas that signed up before we officially open our doors on on March 1st, 2019.
What was the inspiration behind starting your business?
We are both passionate about health and fitness and always wanted to do something together that would help people in their lives. Launching HOTWORX was an opportunity to improve people’s life through fitness and bringing to our community a unique way to workout that uses infrared to help you recover while you workout.
You own HOTWORX with your friend, tell us about that relationship and the best part of working with a friend!
The best part is that it doesn’t feel like work! LOL
Tell us more about HOTWORX, what makes it unique, and all the classes you offer!
HOTWORX is a 24 hour infrared fitness studio that provides more work out in less time. We do this by implementing a three dimensional approach to fitness that combines heat, exercise and infrared to burn massive amount of calories and flush toxins from the body in the process.
We offer the following Sessions:
- Hot Cycle – HIIT Spin Class
- Hot Blast – Full body workout on a Total Body Trainer
- Hot Yoga – Traditional Yoga
- Hot Buns – Focus on the Glutes
- Hot Core – Abs, Hips & Lower Back
- Hot Bands – Intense Total Body Resistance Bands Workout
- Hot Iso – Isometric Compression Postures
- Hot Pilates – Traditional Pilates
- Hot Warrior – Advanced Version of Hot Iso
- We also have a non-heated full Functional Training Zone with free weights, medicine balls, Myokore [straps], ropes… anything needed for a full body workout.
Name one thing that makes HOTWORX unique in your space or industry?
The thing that makes it unique is the 3D training:
- heat: speeds up your metabolism
- accelerates your recovery, strengthens and activates the regenerative process in your body
- exercise: we offer 30 min of isometrics workouts (hot yoga, hot pilates…) and 15 min of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).
What’s your favorite thing about being a business owner in the Katy area?
Katy is blooming! There are so many other entrepreneurs in the area and it’s very exciting to be a part of it. We’re blessed to be part of the Fulshear-Katy Chamber of Commerce which is very active and supportive.
How has the Katy area community had an impact on your business?
We’ve received such a warm welcome in the community!
What’s one thing you’d like to go back and tell the you before you were a business owner?
Get ready, things are about to get serious! The idea to launch HOTWORX just started after a very casual talk amongst friends and several months later, here we are opening the doors of innovative business that helps people do more work out in less time!
Advice for anyone wanting to start their own business?
It sounds cliche but find something that you are really passionate about so that it doesn’t feel like a constraint.
Who inspires you most as an entrepreneur and who inspires you most in motherhood?
- Mano: I’ve been blessed with a mother in law who’s shown me a type of love and acceptance that I never expected to receive from someone else than my own mother. She inspires me to pay it forward.
My father became an entrepreneur late in his life. He demonstrated to me that it’s never too late to reinvent yourself.
- Mampia: Two men inspired me as an entrepreneur, my dad and my husband. Both during their career have been able to become successful business owners while working full time on their regular 9 to 5 jobs.
In motherhood, I will definitely say my mom who has always been able to balance the busy life of a professional woman, a wife and a mama!
When things get hard, what’s one thing you tell yourself to keep going when running this business?
We have seen the growing excitement that people have in our community for HOTWORX. Before we opened our doors we already had hundreds of women already reaching out to us to become members. So when things get hard, I always remember everyone that is counting on us. I truly believe that HOTWORX will really change people’s lives.
How do you balance being a business owner, wife, and mama?
- Mano: prioritize and delegate as much as possible! Thankfully, my kids are at an age where they can help out a lot: they can do their own laundry, make lunches and some light cleaning. It might not be up to my standards but it does alleviate my load a lot. My husband is a master on the grill and takes on a lot of the chauffeuring duties. And I’m learning to say No to commitments that aren’t critical!
- Mampia: I agree prioritize and delegate! Without the help of our families it would be hard.
Future plans for your business?
We’re hoping that this is our 1st of many other HOTWORX. There are multiple areas of interest in the Greater Houston Area worth exploring.
Any special, sales, or deals our Katy Moms can look out for?
Definitely! We would love for all the Mamas to join today the HOTWORX movement by taking advantage of our special offer of $20 down and $54 a month!
The full benefits for our members are:
- 24/7 facility access via mobile pass/pin pad
- Unlimited access to our Sauna sessions and the FX Zone
- Access to online appointments via HOTWORX mobile app
- VIP Guest privileges (during staffed hours)
- Brand Ambassador rewards program perks (refer 10 members get one year free)
- Discounted worldwide access to other HOTWORX Studio locations
For more information on HOTWORX and these amazing mama owners, be sure to check out their website and social media pages!