Featuring Gavri Orthodontics & Owners Mary Kate & Aaron Gavri
One of the biggest decisions mamas face when the time comes is finding a trusting, honest, good orthodontist for their kids. You get one smile and it’s important to get it right! We’ve had the pleasure of getting to know more about Gavri Orthodontics in Richmond, who we’ve heard wonderful things about. This practice truly cares about their patients!
Dr. Aaron is the practicing orthodontist and Mary Kate is Dr. Aaron’s wife and office manager. Fun Fact: She is also an orthodontist in Houston! Dr. Aaron Gavri is thrilled to be back in his hometown after spending the last 7 years serving the community in Charleston, South Carolina. He takes great pride in the quality of orthodontic treatment that he provides to his patients and does it while having fun.
Their team prioritizes taking the time needed to provide the individualized care and service you deserve in a timely and punctual manner. They truly make their patients feel like family and take such great care of everyone who walks through the door.
It’s not every day you feel the passion of a business owner come through a computer screen and it was such a joy to interview this sweet family. Below is our Wellness Wednesday interview with Mary Kate and Aaron- we hope you enjoy!
You’re a husband and wife team! Where are you two from originally and how long have you lived in the Katy/Richmond area?
- Mary Kate: I grew up in Williamsburg, Virginia and my family now resides in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Dr. Aaron and I met in dental school at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. Aaron is actually from right here in Houston, Texas. He was born and raised down the road in Sugar Land. After we completed our orthodontic residencies, we decided that we wanted to raise our family in Texas. A big bonus is that we get to be close to Dr. Aaron’s family who now resides in Richmond.
Did you always know you wanted to go into this line of work and what attracted you to the industry?
- Aaron: I knew at a young age that I wanted to be an orthodontist based on my personal journey with braces. Growing up, I went through two phases of braces to help fix an underbite and ended up idolizing my orthodontist, Dr. Wadler. He became a mentor for me through high school and college, helping guide me to where I am today. Ironically, a few parents of my best friends still remind me how in middle school I would tell them I wanted to be an orthodontist when I grew up. Dream big, y’all!
- Being an orthodontist is truly a transformative and impactful job. It brings me joy each and every day to be able to change peoples lives through a smile. It is amazing to see how much self-confidence can be restored in a person when they feel good about their smile.
When did you open the practice?
- Aaron: I partnered with Dr. Jennings [the previous owner] at the beginning of 2021 and we transitioned to full ownership, as well as renamed the practice to Gavri Orthodontics in October of 2021.
Tell us about your business and what makes you unique in the industry.
- Mary Kate: Gavri Orthodontics is a family-owned and operated small business. Dr. Aaron makes it his goal to ensure that he spends quality time with each and every patient. The schedule was set up to guarantee that he has time to personally sit down with his patients to not only provide quality care but to also build a personal relationship with each individual. Our mission is to make every patient that walks through our door feel like a member of our family. We understand that doctor/dental offices can be intimidating, especially for the younger ones, and we have every intention to make the experience as fun as possible!
At what age should parents consider braces/corrective measures for their kids?
- Aaron: Did you know, the American Association of Orthodontists [AAO] recommends that children be seen by an orthodontist at the age of 7. I know that sounds early but this is what we call a “Growth and Development Check.” At this visit, Dr. Aaron takes an x-ray of the mouth as well as does a clinical exam to make sure each child is growing correctly. This gives him the opportunity to spot subtle problems, if any, with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present. This may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
Favorite success story since opening your business?
- Aaron: The biggest reward I get as an orthodontist are the transformations I see from each individual patient. Being able to restore a patients confidence through their smile is a truly wonderful feeling. To me, finishing every patient with a beautiful smile is a success!
Who is your ideal customer/patient?
- YOU! We are looking for patients like you to make a positive impact on and hope to help serve our wonderful local community.
Benefits of seeing an orthodontist early for kiddos?
- Aaron: The benefits of seeing an orthodontist early allows us to set a baseline foundation and recognize any potential problems. We are able to correct them by using limited braces and/or various appliances before it becomes more serious. If your child does not need any early treatment, we are able to continue monitoring their development with our annual growth and development checks.
What’s the best part of what you do each day?
- Aaron: The best part of my job is the relationships I build with my patients. We are a small family in our office and treat every patient like another member of that family.
What’s your favorite part about practicing in the Richmond community?
- Mary Kate: The people of the Richmond community really are some of the best and most friendly that we’ve had the pleasure of knowing. The small-town feel is something that really drew us to the area. We wanted to establish ourselves where we felt that we could go out to eat or to the grocery store and get to see our patients.
What makes your staff and providers so special and unique?
- Mary Kate: Our small but tight-knit staff is the absolute best! They come to work with a smile on their faces each and every day. Veronica, at the front desk, welcomes everyone with a big “hello” and loves to chat with our patients to get to know them better. Erin, our treatment coordinator, is a wealth of knowledge and you’ll spend your first visit getting to know her. She wants to help each patient start treatment if they’d like to and when they are ready. Frank and Ranya, our two orthodontic assistants, are who you will see when you come to your appointments when you are in braces or Invisalign. They are Dr. Aaron’s sidekicks. They are outgoing, funny, and social media wizards.
Future plans for your practice?
- Mary Kate: Our future plans for the practice include staying as involved in the community as possible. We really want to serve our neighbors in the best way possible and to touch as many lives as we can through orthodontics.
Any special, sales, or deals our Katy Moms can look out for?
- Mary Kate: We are running a special now through June 30th, 2022 for $400 off comprehensive treatment. Come in for your complimentary consultation and if you start treatment plus mention the Katy Moms Network, you’ll get $400 off! We can’t wait to meet you!